UM/UIM Claims

Were you injured by a negligent driver who had no insurance or did not have enough insurance? There are several different types of insurance are available for drivers in Washington State. These types include liability insurance, personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.

If the driver who caused the accident and injury does not have a liability insurance, there’s a good chance there will be no money to pay damages you were supposed to obtain unless you or the car you were in had UM/UIM insurance. You could try to make the driver pay out of his personal assets, but often uninsured drivers have limited or no assets and thus cannot pay.

This is where uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage comes in. Although UM/UIM coverage is not mandatory to purchase, it is a good way to protect yourself if you are in an accident with a driver who lacks insurance or does not have enough insurance to pay for all of the damages you sustain. You can make a claim under your own insurance policy, and the claim will be covered.

If you are in an accident with a driver who has insufficient insurance or no insurance at all, your insurance company will essentially stand in and pay the costs the responsible driver should have been paying.

The extent of what you can recover under uninsured/underinsured coverage is going to vary depending upon your policy limits.

Your insurance policy should specify exactly what your maximum coverage amounts are. However, this doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily collect the maximum. The actual amount you collect will be based on the value of losses, such as unpaid medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and wrongful death damages.

These are all of the damages that a driver who caused a car accident could be made to pay. The only difference is your insurance company under uninsured motorist coverage pays them.

Alternatively, if the driver who harmed you had some insurance, but not enough, you could collect both from the driver and from your own insurer.

To make an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim, it is important to contact your insurer as soon as possible.

If you or someone you love has been injured as a driver or a passenger in a Washington State accident involving uninsured/underinsured claim, and the accident was not your fault, you may be entitled to damages for lost wages, pain and suffering, medical expenses, scarring, disfigurement and loss of enjoyment of life. In wrongful death cases, punitive damages may also available. The Washington State uninsured/underinsured lawyers of THE YE LAW FIRM have the knowledge and experience to litigate your injury involving uninsured/underinsured claims and help you seek the compensation you deserve. The car accident attorneys at THE YE LAW FIRM can help protect your rights in the event of an accident involving uninsured/underinsured car in Washington State if you were not at fault.

Because the Washington State Statute of Limitations applies to these cases, if you or someone you know has been injured, disabled or killed in a Washington State’s car accident and either the negligent party is uninsured/underinsured, it is vital that you act immediately to protect your rights. If a negligent uninsured/underinsured driver has harmed you or a loved one, call the personal injury lawyers at THE YE LAW FIRM today at (253) 946-0577 for a no-cost consultation and a comprehensive case evaluation.