The Dos and Don’ts in a Car Crash Accident
It is estimated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that about 6 million people in the US are victims of car crash accidents. Road trips are increasingly common during the summer and spring season and with them car crash accidents. With that said, every driver should be prepared for handling situations in case of a car accident.
To assist you in the panic-stricken situation, we have developed a few do’s and don’ts to follow after a car crash accident. They are as follows:
- DO stay calm— if there are any passengers with you, check for their injuries and safety first.
- DO contact the police—Call at your local emergency number even if the injury is minor. The accident should be documented as per the law.
- DO gather all the evidence and information—Document the car crash, take pictures and videos for evidence of the cars, vicinity, and people. If there are any witnesses available, gather their information such as: name, address, contact numbers, etc.
- DO report at your insurance company—As soon as you experience a car crash accident, you should inform your insurance company and provide them with the basic facts.
- DO hire an attorney—a personal injury lawyer will guide you with the proceedings in case the accident is taken to court. It is estimated that accident victims get thrice the amount more in recovery/relief than what one would have claimed without an attorney.
- DON’T make unnecessary statements—do not make statements that can go against you in the future. Wait for your lawyer or the police before you give out any information.
- DON’T assume about your injuries—do not wait on starting your medical treatment. This might go against your case. If you prolong the treatment, your case for a medical relief will weaken.
- DON’T let the other vehicle vanish—the other car involved in the accident may give you false information about their whereabouts and vanish. This will leave you nowhere nor help you with settlements in the case. Hold the other party involved in the scene, until the police arrives.
- DON’T settle for anything unless recommended by lawyer—some drivers may want to settle the case outside the court. For this, they might offer a good sum or pay for your injuries. However, do not make hasty decisions, and let the attorney do the talking. Only after consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney, should you make a final decision.
- DON’T go all ‘social’ about the accident—today, everything is posted on social media. But, very few realize that the platform can work against them in case of a legal issue. Therefore, as suggested by most attorneys, do not post anything on social media sites that is related to the accident, as it can haunt you back at some point.
Hiring a personal injury attorney should be the first thing on your list. Because, the longer you wait and think, the weaker your case gets. If you want your or a loved one’s case to be evaluated, you can contact The Ye Law Firm for free and know where you stand!